Barley Cinnamon Sticky Buns
Pastry1 tsp. white sugar
1 package (2 ¼ tsp.) active dry yeast
½ c. warm water
½ c. milk
¼ c. white sugar
¼ c. butter
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs, beaten
4 c. Alaska Flour Company barley flour
¾ c. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
¼ c. melted butter
2 Tbsp. karo syrup
¾ c. butter
¾ c. brown sugar
1. In a small bowl, dissolve 1 tsp. sugar and yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy. Warm the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Mix in ¼ c. sugar, ¼ c. butter and salt; stir until melted. Let cool until lukewarm.
2. In a large bowl, combine the yeast mixture, eggs and 1 ½ c. flour; stir well to combine. Stir in the remaining flour, ½ c. at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
3. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
4. While dough is rising, melt ¾ c. butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in ¾ c. brown sugar, whisking until smooth. Pour into greased 9x13 inch baking pan. Melt remaining butter; set aside. Combine remaining ¾ c. brown sugar, ½ c. pecans, and cinnamon; set aside.
5. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, roll into an 18x14 inch rectangle. Brush with 2 Tbsp. melted butter, leaving ½ inch border uncovered; sprinkle with brown sugar cinnamon mixture. Starting a t long side, tightly roll up, pinching seam to seal. Brush with remaining 2 Tbsp. butter. With serrated knife, cut into 15 pieces. Place cut side down in prepared pan. Cover and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled in volume. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Let cool in pan for 3 minutes, then invert onto serving platter. Scrape remaining filling from pan onto rolls.